Vectis® Technology: Vectis® DYO Counterbalance Motion Control App
Use the Vectis® DYO App below to design your own counterbalance hinge. Click here if you’d like to see our step-by-step instructions on how to use the app or our quick reference guide.
How To Use The Vectis® DYO App
1. Figure out Your Starting SpecsUse our proprietary DYO app above by simply plugging in your product’s three critical parameters of the load to be counterbalanced:
- Lid weight and the lid center of gravity to the hinge pivot axis
- Horizontal distance
- Vertical distance
2. Pick a Vectis Flex HingeNext select the model of Vectis and quantity desired. Use the slide bar variables to obtain the optimum torque curve and fine tune the open and close feel.
3. Determine How Many Hinges You NeedYou should weigh several factors when deciding on a number of hinges for each lid. These include mounting considerations — for example, if your hinges must support the middle of an unusually long lid. Very large lids can require several Vectis hinges to counterbalance that weight.
4. Try out the Counterbalancing Action You WantThe orange Spring Torque Curve line on the app’s graph represents the spring-based opening torque applied by your hinges. By inputting or adjusting a few additional parameters on the app, you can position the orange line above, on, or below the black line at different angles. This helps you control the amount of spring-based torque that’ll be applied at each angle. The lighter orange lines give you an idea of the controlled friction band built into your hinge. This friction helps hold your load in place. In areas where the black lid torque line is between the light orange lines, the lid or load will stay put. Remember: All inputs are interactive. Changing one value in the app may alter or limit other values.
5. Designate the Built-In Open Stop AngleIn the Lid “open stop” Angle input box, simply type in the open stop angle desired. You can instead specify an open stop angle between 45° and 90°. Variable A and B represent geometry that’ll be permanently cut into the internal linkage of your hinges. The spring settings dictate the initial spring adjustment made at the factory. The unique result of these three numbers tailors the hinge to your needs. The result is reflected on the orange Spring Torque Curve line.
Downloadable STEP CAD model files:
Files will need to be saved in order to be downloaded.
V0200 Mounting Model STEP
V0600 Mounting Model STEP
V1200 Mounting Model STEP
V1800 Mounting Model STEP